Casting a fire ant colony with molten aluminum
Not saying that killing ants just because it’s cool. But hey.
I’ve seen this post and the original video before.
That ant colony belongs to an invasive species of fire ant (called Red Imported Fire Ants or RIFAs) which cause more harm to the local environment than good. Researchers are experimenting with extremely high temperatures as a means to dispose of invasive insect species and, just so you know, molten aluminum is VERY HOT.
Not saying this is the best way to do it, but these folks are doing a service for the local environment and they got a beautiful piece of art for their efforts.
It’s also good for Science because we get to see what the inside of a fire ant nest look like. That’s really cool.
Thats pretty metal.
It’s literally pretty metal.
12 year old Lauren Rojas built a space balloon and launched her Hello Kitty doll into the Stratosphere. She also attached an altimeter, thermometer, cameras and a satellite tracker in order to record all the data. Her experiment is titled: The effects of Altitude on air pressure and temperature. Lauren’s aircraft reached a height of 29 km, not officially space (100km) but enough to provide one hell of a view. Watch the video of her feat below.
what happened in roughly 1870 though
why was there temporary internet
with a few people searching for pokemon?
It’s a search of Google books, but the question still stands, what the Fuck happened in 1870
I CAN ANSWER THIS!!
In the Cornish dialect of English, Pokemon meant ‘clumsy’ (pure coincidence).
In the mid 1800s there was a surge of writing about the Cornish language and dialect in an attempt to preserve them with glossaries and dictionaries being written. I wrote about it HERE.
i don’t know about you, but i grew up seeing mostly white dolls that looked nothing like me. in fact, even the few black dolls i saw looked nothing like me. they had super straight hair, and sometimes blue or green eyes. where was the barbie doll with brown eyes and beautiful curly, kinky hair?
well now, i found a DIY tutorial that allows you to make even the doll with the finest hair, look a little more like you.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A doll
- End papers (sold at beauty supply shops)
- Pipe cleaners
- Boiling water
Note about end papers: If you start with a doll that has long hair and you plan to make a style similar to the style shown in my picture, you won’t need end papers, they’re optional. But if you start with a doll that has shorter hair and don’t plan to cut it any further, end papers will be essential.
1. Cut pipe cleaners into two-inch pieces and bend each one in half. They will look like little “V” shapes.
2. Section off a piece of hair and twist it into a tight spiral. The smaller the sections, the tighter the curls will be.
3. Wrap the spiral in an end paper (optional)
4. Place a pipe cleaner onto the scalp and pull the twisted section into the crook of the pipe cleaner. Be sure to keep the hair spiraled tightly as you zig-zag it.
5. When you finish zig-zagging each section, twist the pipe cleaner ends around each other to lock everything into place.
fully wrapped head
6. Once you have all the sections in pipe cleaners, dip the head in boiling water for the count of ten.
7. Wait for the head to cool – usually a few hours, but overnight is best. Rinse in cold water and place doll in freezer if you want to speed things up.
8. Take the pipe cleaners out.
9. If you have length to spare, trim each section to get rid of straight ends or strays.
feel free to leave it like this, or pick it out and make your doll’s fro as big as you desire. i don’t know about you, but i’m definitely going to be doing a few of these for my little cousin, who is currently very insecure about her own beautiful curly hair.
YOU ARE A HERO! Oh, God, I’m crying a little now. I needed this so BADLY when I was a little girl! *reblogs like a reblogging thing*
be your OWN problematic fave
That cat has a cat on its back.
praise jesus christ in heaven
Really interesting interview with Nicole Perlman, who wrote the Guardians of the Galaxy screenplay while on a two-year writer’s program contract at Marvel Studios.
I highly recommend this interview. Also, it looks like she wrote a Black Widow script that obviously… still has not been made. WHY. WHY.
I wish I did not care so much about that movie, because it is never going to happen, SO THIS IS ONLY GOING TO LEAD TO CRUSHING DISAPPOINTMENT. BUT I DO. I DO CARE. WHY WON’T THEY JUST GIVE IT TO MEEEEE.